The schooner Picton (1867)
Port of Picton Registry, Number 21 :
|Name: PICTON ||Type: Schooner|
|Official Number: 71206 ||Tons: 160 |
|Where Built: Picton, Ont. ||Port of Registry / Hail: Picton|
|Build Year: 1867 ||Value: $15,000; (1897)|
|Builder’s Name & Date of Certification: Thom. Walters, June 1867.|
|Master’s Name: H. Gaw||Subscribing Owners: Hugh Gaw|
|Length; 98 feet and 4/10ths. ||Breadth; 22 feet and 9/10ths (below wale) |
|Depth of Hold; 9 feet and 7/10ths ||Masts: Two|
|Stern: Square ||Bowsprit: Standing |
| How Built: Carvel ||How Rigged: Schooner |
|Figure-head: None||Decks: One |
Schooner Picton, at Gananoque.
See also the entry for the schooner Picton in our ships Database. Note also that C.H.J. Snider (Schooner Days CCLXVIII (268)) has John Tait as builder rather than Thomas Walters (Walton may be mispelling).
- Schooner, PICTON ; American Tons: 161 ; Built By: Robinson ; Built Where: Picton, Ont. ; Built When: 1867 ; Supposed Owners: H. Gaw ; Port Belonging To: Picton ; Approx Value: $9,000 ; Class: A1 ; Association of Canadian Lake Underwriters, Lake Vessel Register, 1869. Page 22.
- Kingston Daily British Whig May 14, 1867. Marine Items. Schooner PICTON launched at Picton at this time.
- Many references to the schooner Picton appear in C.H.J Snider's work:
Schooner Days CCLXVIII (268) "Tait's Types: Round Sterned Delaware, Gun-Barrel Picton, and her Hickory Jibboom"
References and source notes
(11) Online resource “The Great Lakes Shipwreck file" By David D. Swayze, Lake Isabella. MI
(12-21, 23-39, 41) Many of the contemporary newspaper cuttings can be found at Maritime History of the Great Lakes, Newspaper Transcriptons
(42) C.H.J. Snider Schooner Days index, Naval Marine Archive.