The schooner Frederica (1880)
Port of Picton Registry, Number 1 for 1880 :
|Intended name: FREDERICA||Type: Schooner|
|Official Number: ||Tons: --- |
|Build Location: Picton||Port of Registry / Hail: |
|Intended Build Year: 1880||Value: |
|Builder’s Name & Date of Certification: |
|Intended Launching: Thursday, July 1, 1880 |
|Intended: Length: 107 feet.||Intended: Breadth: 24 feet.|
|Intended: Depth of Hold: 9||Masts: |
|Intended Owners: Walter Ross.|
See also the entry for the schooner Frederica in our ships Database.
- First Registration: Name: FREDERICA; Location: Picton, Ontario, Canada. Registration: 1/1880: Built At: Picton: Build Date: 1880/07/01 Length: 107; Breadth: 24; Depth: 9
- British Whig, Saturday, 26th of June, 1880, p.3 : Marine News. A new schooner, built at Picton during the past winter, was launched on Thursday. Note: while the ship was unnamed, this launching is only four days earlier from the stated build date of July 1, 1880.
- In checking the Sessional Papers from the Dept. of Marine in 1887, there are two schooners built in Picton in 1880. The MAPLE LEAF, Official Number 73914 whose dimensions were 91 x 21 x 7; and the HANLAN, Official Number 80952 and her dimensions were 86 x 21 x 8. Both schooners smaller that the FREDERICA’S stated dimensions.
References and source notes
(2) Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston, Online Resource – Canadian Registry List.
(3) K.C. and The Maritime History of the Great Lakes