Howard Irving Chapelle (1901-1975)
Howard Irving Chapelle (1 Feb. 1901 – 30 June 1975) was an American naval architect, curator of maritime history at the Smithsonian Institution, and reasonably prolific author of books and articles on maritime history, and boat, yacht and ship design. We hold the following titles, all first editions, and many various reprints, which may or may not differ slightly. This list does not include numerous ather articles that appeared in various serials.
- The Baltimore Clipper (1930), the Marine Research Society.
- The History of American Sailing Ships (1935), W.W. Norton.
- Yacht Designing and Planning (1936) W. W. Norton & Company; revised and enlarged edition, same publisher, 1971.
- American Sailing Craft (1936), New York, Kennedy Bros.
- Boatbuilding : a complete handbook of wooden boat construction (1941) W.W. Norton & Company Inc.
- American Small Sailing Craft : their design, developement and construction, (1951), W. W. Norton
- The History of the American Sailing Navy: The Ships and Their Development (1949), W. W. Norton & Company.
- The National Watercraft Collection (1960), Smithsonian Institution (Bulletin (United States National Museum), no. 219.)
- The pioneer steamship Savannah : a study for a scale model (1961), Contributions from the Museum of History and Technology, paper 21.
- Fulton's "steam battery" : blockship and catamaran (1964) Smithsonian Institution, (Bulletin (United States National Museum), no. 240.)
- The Search for Speed Under Sail 1700-1855 (1967), W. W. Norton & Company
- The American Fishing Schooners 1825-1935 (1973) W. W. Norton & Company, ISBN 0-393-03123-3
- Chesapeake Bay crabbing skiffs (1979) Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, (reprinted from Yachting, June and October 1943)
Co-authored with Edwin Tappan Adney:
Co-authored with Leon D. Polland:
Many of his later papers are archived at the Smithsonian Institution Archives under reference SIA RU007228