James Barnes (1866-1936), bibliography
James Barnes was an American author who specialized in naval and military history and biography. He graduated from Princeton in 1891 where he served as editor of the literary magazine The Nassau and as president of the Princeton Drama Association. Aftergraduation, Barnes wrote for Scribner's Magazine and served as Assistant Editor of Harper's Weekly. During the Spanish–American War he served in the Naval Reserve. From 1899 to 1901 he was a war correspondent for The Outlook covering the Boer War in South Africa; and from 1905 to 1908 was editor of Appleton's Booklover's Magazine.
During World War I he served as head of the Princeton Aviation School for several months, and major of the Aviation Section of the Signal Corps of the United States Reserve. He was head of the photographic division of the army and was sent to France as commander of the United States School of Aërial Photography. From 1918 until his death, Barnes served as President of the Naval History Society.
His works include, in chronological order:
- For King Or Country: Story of American Revolution, Barnes, James, Harper and Brothers, 1896, vpp. 1 l., 269pp. front., 20 pl. 19 cm.
- Naval Actions of the War of 1812; Barnes, James, Harper & Brothers, NY, 1896. 21 color illustrations by Carlton T. Chapman. 8vo., navy cloth, gilt title and decoration to spine and front board, t.e.g. Rough trimmed, xiv, 263pp.,  leaves of plates: ill.; 24 cm.
- Midshipman Farragut; Barnes, James, illustrated by Charlton T. Chapman, D. Appleton and Co, New York, 1896, 1st Ed. 5.5" x 8", blue with gold llettering and decorations, ixpp., 1 l., 151pp. front., plates, map. 20 cm.
- Commodore Bainbridge: from the gunroom to the quarter-deck, Barnes, James, Illustrated by George Gibbs and others, New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897, vii, 168pp. front., illus., 7 pl., port., maps. 20 cm.
- The hero of Erie (Oliver Hazard Perry), Barnes, James, New York, D. Appleton & Company 1898. vii, 167pp. front., illus., plates, port. 20 cm.
- Loyal Traitor: a Story of the War of 1812, Barnes, James, Harper and Bros. NY, 1897, 8vo, x, 306pp. front., 20 pl. 19 cm.
- Yankee Ships, Yankee Sailors, Tales of 1812; Barnes, James, Macmilland and Co, NY, 1897, teg, decorated blue cloth, front + 13 plates by Zogbaum and Chapman, ixpp., 3 l., 3-281pp. 20 cm.
- Ships and Sailors: being a collection of songs of the sea as sung by the men who sail it. With numerous illustrations in colour and black and white by Rufus F. Zogbaum, edited and compiled by James Barnes; Barnes, James (ed), New York, F.A. Stokes Co, 1898. First Edition, illustrated paper boards, 12 color plates, 26 halftone; oblong format, 2pp.l., 124pp. illus., pl. obl. cm., includes musical notation.
- Drake and his yeomen; a true accounting of the character and adventures of Sir Francis Drake as told by Sir Matthew Maunsell, his friend and follower, Barnes, James, Macmillan and Co, NY, 1899, colour illustrations by Carlton T. Chapman, teg, deckled foredge, bright gilt lettering and design on cover and spine, xiii, 415pp. col. front., 7 pl. 21 cm.
- David G. Farragut, Boston, Small, Maynard & company, 1899. 4pp. l., [vii]-xviiipp., 1 l., 132pp. front. (port.) 15 cm.
- The great war trek with the British army of the veldt. By James Barnes. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1901. xii, 372pp. 20 cm.
- Princetonian, a Story of Undergraduate Life at the College of New Jersey, Barnes, James (Class of '91), G.P. Putnam's Sons, NY, 1901, viiipp., 1 l., 431pp. front., 2 pl. 18 cm.
- With the flag in the Channel; or, The adventures of Captain Gustavus Conyngham, Barnes, James; illustrated by Carlton T. Chapman. New York: D. Appleton Company, 1902. vii, 158pp.: facsim.; 20 cm.
- The giant of three wars; a life of General Winfield Scott, by James Barnes ... illustrated by Gordon H. Grant. New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1903. xi, 241pp. col front, 3 pl. 20 cm.
- The unpardonable war, Barnes, James ... New York; London: The Macmillan Company, 1904. vi, , 356, pp. (last 2pp. blank),  leaf of plates: ill.; 20 cm.
- The son of Light Horse Harry, New York and London, Harper & brothers, 1904. 3pp.l., 242, pp. front., 7 pl. 19 cm.
- The blockaders, and other stories, by James Barnes. New York and London, Harper & brothers, 1905. 202pp. 18 cm.
- Outside the law, Barnes, James. New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1906, c1905. , 281, pp.,  leaves of plates: ill.; 20 cm.
- The clutch of circumstance, Barnes, James. New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1908. ,pp. vii, , 385, pp.,  leaves of plates; 20 cm.
- Rifle and caravan; New York and London, D. Appleton and company, 1912. 5pp.l., 325, pp. col. front., 1 illus., col. plates. 20 cm.
- Through Central Africa: from coast to coast, Barnes, James; illustrated by photographs by Cherry Kearton. New York: D. Appleton, 1915. xviii, 283pp.,  leaves of plates: ill., 1 map; 24 cm.
- The hero of Stonypont, Anthony Wayne, New York [etc.] D. Appleton and company, 1916. 4pp.l., 209, 1pp. col. front., col. plates. 20 cm.
- The life of William Bainbridge, Esq. of the United States Navy, by H.A.S. Dearborn, 1816; Barnes, James (ed), Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1931. xvii, 218pp. front. (port.) plates, facsims. 25 cm.
- From then till now; anecdotal portraits and transcript pages from memory's tablets, Barnes, James, New York, London, D. Appleton-Century company, incorporated, 1934. xv, 535pp. illus. 25 cm.
We are continually expanding our collections - donations would be sincerely welcomed